Athens and the Summer Olympics 2004

suzanne1109

Does anyone have any thoughts regarding the Summer Olympics in Athens and how this may affect cruisers in the area? Insofar as crowds, terrorism threats, etc?

We will arrive in Athens on 8/9, leaving on 8/11 - the Olympics opening ceremonies are 8/12 I believe.

I was told by a high-ranking Silversea officer that security will be, and must be, MUCH tighter during the Olympics. It is something they are already thinking of, and working on, and concerned about.

That said, he also doubts that a terrorist would target Silversea - too small a line - and of Italian registry. Terrorists would more likely go after a higher profile ship, of American or British origin.

There will be far more boats than you're used to seeing at Port. I would think you will need to tender, as limited dock space will be given to larger (and/or well-connected) vessels.

I think, given the past predominance of the Greek shipping industry, there may be more focus on the host city's port than usual.

Thank you, Seas... I read the article and I feel much better (not). We arrive on the 9th and leave on the 11th - and I plan to avoid the Olympic village. Not the least bit interested in that. However, the sturdy structures located elsewhere in Greece should be just my cup of tea.

>>vHowever, the sturdy structures located elsewhere in Greece should be just my cup of tea.<<

Better make it a glass of ice tea in August. :-) Although, coming from a place that can be steamy in the summer, I never really believed the line "It's not the heat, it's the humidity" until I visited Greece in August. It's amazing how cool you can feel if you're standing in the shade at Olympia or Mystras and there's even the slightest of breezes. (But bring sunscreen and a hat in case you don't find shade!)

--

Durant Imboden

Europeforvisitors.com

Always a pleasure to hear from you, Durant..

Has anyone ever been to South Florida around the end of July - beginning of August? The heat and humidity here are enough to choke a horse (and sometimes it has). I live in Fort Lauderdale - and we have 2 seasons: Summer and Hell.

Summer in Europe couldn't possibly be worse - or could it?

>>Summer in Europe couldn't possibly be worse - or could it?<<

Not outdoors, but I'll bet South Florida has more buildings with air conditioning.

If it gets too hot, look for a nice cool cathedral and settle down in a pew with a good book (not necessarily THE good book; any good book). :-)

--

Durant Imboden

Europeforvisitors.com

No, but it's certainly well ventilated. :-)

BTW, when I was in Athens with the SILVER WHISPER a couple of years ago, there was a passengers in her 60s or 70s who climbed up to the Parthenon and back down with two broken ankles in splints. A very plucky lady, needless to say--especially with the stone path being so slippery!

--

Durant Imboden

Europeforvisitors.com

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> That said, he also doubts that a terrorist would target Silversea - too small a line - and of Italian registry. Terrorists would more likely go after a higher profile ship, of American or British origin.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If I recall, the Achille Laura (spelling?) was a "low profile" Italian cruise ship that was highjacked years ago. Most of the passengers on Silversea are probably American or British. I personally would avoid Athens at this time. I'm happy that my son's cruise cancelled Athens in August and will go to other ports instead.

• 1 month later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Seas the Day:

That said, he also doubts that a terrorist would target Silversea - too small a line - and of Italian registry. Terrorists would more likely go after a higher profile ship, of American or British origin.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Silversea is Italian owned but the ships are all registered in the Bahamas.

for what it's worth, our agent advised against using as luxury line like Silversea -- too much a BIG target....

Just checking .... did you decide not to use Silversea as a result of this advice? Also was the advice from your ta that it was just Silversea out of Athen's that was a "BIG target" or Silverse in total? Surely a BIG boat is a BIGGER target? Strange advice. A travel agent advising it's customers NOT to travel at a time when most others I don't think would offer quite that advice?!

I ask because in another thread ("Silversea in trouble ...... again??") you were suggesting that the cruiseline was in financial trouble and complaining that Silversea wouldn't honour a credit? I haven't seen any evidence at all that they are "in trouble" and that there has been "lots of executive moves" I find the treatment you claim difficult to reconcile to my experience of them.

In another "Silver Wind is the poorest of the fleet-- not..." you said "Silver Wind is the poorest of the fleet-- not worth the time nor experience. We believe it's SS' training and economy-focused ship-- understaffed, poor service at times, inconsistent cuisine,..."

These threads might seem to some cynics (perhaps unfairly and wrongly) that this was a part of a negative PR campaign for a company for some reason you were trying to damage - perhaps a competitor?

It does seem very strange that someone who has such a negative impression of them and who fears traveling with them SO much would want to cruise with them and chat to a ta about re-booking with them.

Just wanted to offer the opportunity to you to clarify what seems to be puzzling inconsistencies.

Does anyone have any thoughts regarding the Summer Olympics in Athens and how this may affect cruisers in the area? Insofar as crowds, terrorism threats, etc?

We will arrive in Athens on 8/9, leaving on 8/11 - the Olympics opening ceremonies are 8/12 I believe.

Suzane - for what it's worth, our view (Mrs uk1 and me!) is that there's a risk wherever we are - and we believe that enjoying life is better than being scared of it - and whilst there is always a small risk - it's worth it. We enjoyed our last trip so much we've just booked Whisper from Athens just as the Games finish. Only a short trip to Lisbon but I we mustn't let these people win and we guess the docks are going to be some of the most patrolled and guarded places in the world.

Do the trip without fear and enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...

There are many articles in today's NYT. This is an excerpt from one:

During the Olympics, the city will be under heavy security, populated by a force of 70,000 members of the Greek police and Army. Cameras have been installed on nondescript beige light poles, along with loudspeakers, throughout the city. Underwater sensors will be installed in the port, and divers will be monitoring the waters in Piraeus.

"I don't think any city in the world is going to be more protected," Mr. Williams said.

A list of hotels where officials, journalists and tourists from the United States are staying, at least from booked packages, has been sent to the United States Embassy in Athens. Hotel guests will be given credentials, and access will be limited to one or two entrances in the hotels. People and their belongings will be hand-searched with a wand or X-ray machine, as they will be before they enter every competition site.

Identification will also be required for athletes and fans staying on one of eight cruise ships in the port of Piraeus, including the Queen Mary 2, which has 1,310 cabins.

Check out http://www.nytimes.com Travel Section for more articles. A link to this particular article is:

http://travel2.nytimes.com/2004/07/18/travel/18games.html?pagewanted=3&n=Top%2FFeatures%2FTravel%2FDestinations%2FEurope%2FGreece%2FAthens&8td

The article does give a sense of heightened security, but is still a bit ambiguous. Just knowing that there is such a scare looming over Athens makes me a bit uneasy. Especially realizing that Olympic athletes are housed in the port on cruise ships; what is that?

However, Silver Whisper will surely be dwarfed by the Queen Mary. What in the world will divers be doing in the water at the port?

A friend of mine, whose husband is a Greek cruise ship Captain, told me there are actually 11 cruise ships that will be docked in Athens, holding athletes and/or fans. She said ships coming in on a daily basis, that are cruises, will dock a bit out of town (an area she intimated wasn't very nice) and travel from there to the Olympics site. I have no idea whether the Whisper will be in town, or at that other port.

As to what the divers are doing... they are protecting from underwater access. A terrorist could plant a bomb under the ship - on a dock, pier, etc... He could swim in from an unguarded area. Divers are protecting against this.

Of course there is always a risk. But, there is a risk here every New Year's Eve in Time Square, and 4th of July concerts on the mall in Washington D.C. The Super Bowl, The World Series, The Acadamy Awards, World Cup Soccer, etc... A positive thought is that all of these major events have gone as planned. Let us hope that the spirit of peace and world unity is honored in Athens, as well.

Once again you compare "Yanks" to Europeans...

What excatly do you mean with regard to THIS thread?

Oh please don't start up the anti-american rubbish again.

This new piece of mindless behaviour where some americans are unable to differentiate between criticsm and anti-americanism is increasingly making some people look very foolish and is alarming and worrying because it is as close to fundamentalism that you see anywhere except which emnates from very groups americans are so worried about and the where the terror and danger the world is suffering emnates mostly from. Americans that accuse or imply that any criticsm of america or american trends is anti-american endangers america - not protects it. There is a wealth of difference between criticising friends and being anti-american as there is between nationalism and patriotism which are sometimes and in some situations almost diametrically opposites.

So there!

However to answer you.

There is a degree of concern from an increasing number of Americans (I didn't say Yanks in this thread ) about their secuirty in europe that doesn't border paranoia - it is paranoid and way way over the top. Terrorism doesn't select or single out americans. A terrorist act is just as likely to affect europeans as americans. But europeans almost do not talk about the threat of terrorism at all.

The other thing that is interesting about the topic is that europeans have been nervous of visiting the US for generations largely becase of the perceived danger of gun proliferation. Many europeans feel that taking the wrong turning in florida almost guarantees death by the gun. But europeans simply don't talk about and and carry on traveling to disney and the US because they realise that fear of terrorism is natural and understandable but if it stops you doing a single thing (other than exercising reasonable care) then (a) the terrorists have won and (b) you may as well roll over and die - because there is always going to be some risk to be scared of.

My point therefore is that americans are far too worried about the risks of terrorism when traveling in europe. They should avoid very obvious danger spots - but not see everywhere as a danger spot and get on and enjoy their lives and their travels to europe.

I know this should be a forum for cruise questions, but I'd like to respond to uk. I think Americans are more likely to be fearful now, because the wake up call we were given on 9/11 is still top of mind. We thought we were protected by our borders: the Atlantic, Pacific, and friendly neighbors. Now we know that we are not. There was, and is, a large sense of "when will the other shoe drop?"

I wonder if inhabitants of Madrid would be more likely to think about terrorism today, than they were a few months ago? I would suspect this to be the case.

Nonetheless, I agree with you. We should live our lives reasonably. Doing what we'd like. Avoiding only those situations or areas of extreme risk (different for each of us.)

The question about Athens and the Olympics was a reasonable one - for tourists of any nationality! There are articles being written in non-American newspapers on just this subject. Uk, your note didn't bother me. I think it's an interesting perspective. But, I think the discussion of safety and the Olympics is a world-concern. Definitely NOT just an American one.

Nonetheless, I agree with you. We should live our lives reasonably. Doing what we'd like. Avoiding only those situations or areas of extreme risk (different for each of us.)

The question about Athens and the Olympics was a reasonable one - for tourists of any nationality! There are articles being written in non-American newspapers on just this subject. Uk, your note didn't bother me. I think it's an interesting perspective. But, I think the discussion of safety and the Olympics is a world-concern. Definitely NOT just an American one.

I agree with everything you say ..... except the point I'm making - which I think you disagree with ..... is that whilst all europeans are aware of the potential for danger in Athens for example, it is the americans who are asking all the questions about it and the ones who are most sweaty and getting most het up about it. In the uk for example we've had the IRA and I think we have a greater sense of balance about it. You've mentioned the spainish and think they will be obsessed by madrid - but it simply isn't true. You forget that they have had a lifetime of ETA and have terrorist action on their streets almost on a weekly basis. This is simply a different source of terrorism to them and one that they hold their government (and ours and yours) responsible for.

I wish I could tell you how many people in europe have died through terrorist acts last year - but I bet it was less than 10% of the people that died either on the roads in the uk - or in one of our fine hospitals through catching an infection that they didn't have when they went in.

My point is about balance.

I agree with everything you say ..... except the point I'm making - which I think you disagree with ..... is that whilst all europeans are aware of the potential for danger in Athens for example, it is the americans who are asking all the questions about it and the ones who are most sweaty and getting most het up about it.

Like every other generalization... this holds true for some, and not for others.

There is only one thing I am 100% sure of. Nothing is ever 100% right or wrong (I think.)

Archived